10.22.2008

Navigating charities

I started this blog because I really want to find good homes for the things I have but don't need or want. I also want to be able to encourage companies to make donations to the right people, so that when I am asked if I want "the hippest thing in babywearing", I can say that I don't, but I know who does, and then ask the company to consider a donation to that organization.

Charity Navigator offers a good tool for this. It's an independent evaluator of charities and their database is available online.

They've assembled top ten lists, ratings of financial health of the organization, and most helpful to most of us, a search engine that lets you find charities in your local area. Oh, and don't miss the tips and resources section of the site, featuring articles like Guide to Donating Noncash Items and How to Stop Solicitations By Mail.

No comments: